Thursday, October 21, 2010

SEGMENT 14--Nashville and The Grand Ole Opry


Nashville is a city built right on the Cumberland River. As you walk around downtown, there are western wear stores, souvenir gift stores called "Cotton Eyed Joe's" and bars called "Wild Horse" and "Doc Holliday's". This city is Country and Western all the way. CMT studios are here and LP field where the Titans play is right across the river. I just had to buy a pair of cowboy boots from Nashville.

Grandpa and I woke up early where we stayed in the parking lot right downtown and went to the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum. We both found it interesting. Grandpa would point out his favorite singers and I would have no idea who they were, and I would point out my favorite singers to him and he wouldn't have a clue and I laughed and said, "We have 47 years between us."

We had a shopping and work day after the museum. I needed to buy some groceries and a BBQ, do some laundry, and make a few repairs on the RV. We camped at the Nashville Country RV Park and at $34 a night it was a "rip off" Grandpa says.

The next morning Grandpa and I had breakfast at the Waffle House. I had a waffle and some grits and Grandpa had biscuits and gravy. Mmmm Mmmm. Yummy. Then we headed to the Opry area and I went to Cooter's Dukes of Hazzard museum and had my picture taken with the General Lee. Later we had early dinner at Caney Fork where Grandpa and I both feasted on Catfish and Deep Fried Pickles and washed it down with Sweet Iced Tea. Southern Food.

Well, tonight we were in for treat. We had fifth row tickets...(sometimes it's good to be handicapped) to The Grand Ole Opry. What an event! Beautiful Showroom that just a few months ago was buried under 10 feet of water during the Nashville floods and just opened back up less than a month ago. The history of this place is incredible going back 85 years. It is still a live broadcast radio show and the variety of the entertainment spans almost as long. They had old country artists like 90 year old Little Jimmy Dickens, and George Jones to mid country stars like Diamond Rio, and new Country artist Josh Thompson. Even the Harlem Globetrotters were there celebrating their 85th anniversary as well.

But the highlight of the eventing for me was to witness Charlie Daniels work his famous fiddle to The Devil Went Down to Georgia on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry while standing in "the circle". He is such a high energy entertainer and is so happy to be there playing that same song for the bazillionth time.
Charlie Daniel's DOES play a mean fiddle.

1 comment: