Monday, October 25, 2010

SEGMENT 17--Race Day with the Ponies

Today is race day at Keeneland Race Track in Lexington, KY!

We drove down Old Frankfurt Pike Road this morning along miles of black fenced acreage of horse farms and grand mansion style homes. They have been having a bit of a drought this year, so things are a bit brown, but still very,very stately and beautiful.

Grandpa and I showed up at the track and parked in the free tailgating section. Soon we were surrounded by University of Kentucky college students chugging beer and getting crazy. We had breakfast in the motor home, and then I unloaded the scooter, and we jumped on the shuttle bus to the track. We asked the security guard where we should go to see the race in our handicapped scooter and he led us right to the best seats in the house, top row, center with no one to block our view. (Again, great seats for the handicapped).

We got the programs, and made our selections. Then I called my friends to make their selections. It took me about two races to figure out how to make a bet, but after that it was a breeze. The first race Grandpa and I picked the horse that came in dead last.

There were 10 races. Arron won one race for $3.40. Kristy had the most wins with two for $10.40. Matt only one once, but he won the most at an 8-1 long shot for $89.00, and grandpa had the most picks at 7 dead last place and 3 second to last. Grandpa says, "I told you I know all about horse racing." We had a great day, lots of fun.

Grandpa's Joke Corner


There was a blonde who got on an airplane in Los Angeles. She seated herself in the First Class section. And soon enough the flight attendant came by and said, "You can't sit here. Your seat is in coach in the back of the plane."

The blonde said, "I am a beautiful blonde from Hollywood and I am going to New York City and I am sitting here. And that's all there is to it."

The flight attendant got her supervisor who told the blonde, "You cannot sit here. Your seats are in the back of the plane in coach. These seats are taken by someone else."

The blonde said, "I am a beautiful blonde from Hollywood and I am going to New York City and I am sitting right here, and that's all there is to it."

Then the flight attendants went to get the pilot. The pilot bent down and whispered in the blondes' ear, and she got right up and moved to the back of the plane in the coach seats.

The attendants asked the pilot what he said to the blonde, and he said, "I told her that this part of the plane wasn't going to New York City."

1 comment:

  1. dead last, eh? my kinda horse.
    you guys really tore down the roof!!!!

    ReplyDelete